Duterte urged to release wood shipment for ‘Yolanda’ shelters


President Rodrigo Roa Duterte. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO/JOAN BONDOC

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO/JOAN BONDOC

A nongovernment organization advocating community-based disaster response has called on President Rodrigo Duterte to order the release of wood shipment held in a Cebu port since December 2015 for the construction of shelters for the victims of Supertyphoon “Yolanda” (Haiyan) in 2013.

In a letter to Duterte, the Citizens’ Disaster Response Center Foundation, Inc. (CDRC) sought for an exemption from taxes and duties and storage fees for the shipment of pinewood for phase 2 of its ongoing project with Germany’s DiakonieKatastrophenhilfe (DKH).

CDRC said the project’s second phase would provide 303 typhoon-resistant houses in barangays (villages) San Roque, Buenavista and Macanip in Jaro, Leyte, while the first phase had already turned over 297 houses to beneficiaries in 6 barangays in November last year.

The NGO said they were granted tax and duties exemption for the phase 1 of the project under Presidential Memorandum Order No. 36 in 2014 through a one-stop-shop (OTS) created by the government for donations for Yolanda survivors.

“The processing took only one day. So for the Phase 2 of the project, we also requested for an exemption  granted in 2014 for the pinewood used in Phase 1. However, this time there is no OTS anymore and so we had to process the exemption through the different government departments and agencies concerned,” CDRC executive director Christie Jamoralin said in the letter.

“For the Phase 2 of the project, DKH sent 3 shipments of pinewood to the Port of Cebu en route to Ormoc City then Jaro, Leyte: 1st shipment arrived on Dec. 9, 2015, 2nd shipment arrived on February 3, 2016 and the 3rd shipment arrived on May 18,2016,” she added.

CDRC said it started processing the request for exemption for the first shipment through the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) in the previous administration last Dec. 14, 2015, but has not received a response since.

“We waited for more than six months for the previous government to grant the tax exemption and waiver of storage fees but to no avail. Even several follow up from the Embassy of Germany, through the request of our donors, did not produce positive results… Meanwhile, the houses being constructed are awaiting completion. Rainy days have officially started and Typhoon Yolanda survivor beneficiaries of the project still have no permanent homes to protect them,” Jamoralin said.

“Mr. President, we would now like to request you for an exemption from taxes and duties for the shipment of pinewood for the shelter project as well as for a waiver in the storage fees at the Port of Cebu so that the shipment can be released soon. It is our fervent hope and prayer that with your policy of delivering quick service to those in need these can be granted,” she added.

The group had also written letters to former President Benigno Aquino III, former and incumbent DSWD secretaries Corazon “Dinky” Soliman and Judy Taguiwalo, and Cabinet Secretary Leoncio Evasco Jr., among others. IDL


Duterte slams Roxas: Where are billions of ‘Yolanda’ funds?

God was away when ‘Yolanda’ flattened Tacloban—Duterte

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

Copyright © 2018,

To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.

Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate: c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94


  • Organizers hope to draw half a million to gun control rally in US
  • DOJ drops parricide raps vs Bohol official accused of killing wife
  • Roque: No security threats for Holy Week
  • MPD identifies Holy Week procession routes in capital
  • PCG: Over 80,000 passengers fill ports a day before Holy Week
  • Sports

  • On verge of elimination, UP not losing hope
  • UAAP: Final Four-bound La Salle eyes second round sweep
  • Pons, Lady Tams eager to finish in top two
  • La Salle clinches Final Four spot, eliminates UE
  • FEU boosts Final Four bid, turns back UP
  • Lifestyle

  • French fries, social media, among others: What Gen Z is willing to give up this Lent
  • How Michael Cassel, ‘The Lion King’ producer, became a roaring success
  • Philippine High School for the Arts theater kids relive a revolution in ‘Nagwawalang Gubat’
  • On its 10th year, 10 badass Gawad Buhay achievements
  • Boracay United to hold ‘massive beach cleanup’ March 24
  • Entertainment

  • No laughing matter: When exactly did clowns become scary?
  • Coney Reyes posts heartfelt condolences for her showbiz ‘Nanay,’ Mely Tagasa
  • On manic new album, Jack White dares you to rein him in
  • Rolling Stone founder Jann Wenner says #MeToo suffers from absence of due process
  • Jinky Vidal’s boyfriend endures bashing; apologizes for online trash talk
  • Business

  • Jan budget surplus widens to P10.2B
  • BSP: Prices of goods, services to stabilize next year
  • PH missed jobless rate goal in 2017
  • SEC says bourse still in violation of ownership rule
  • Malaysian conglomerate bets big on New Clark City
  • Technology

  • Australian volunteers save 5 of over 150 stranded whales
  • NASA’s Mars rover Curiosity marks 2,000th day on red planet
  • 2 Americans, 1 Russian dock with International Space Station
  • US charges 9 Iranians in massive hacking scheme
  • UN reports see a lonelier planet with fewer plants, animals
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, March 24, 2018
  • Profound shift in Filipinos’ attitudes
  • Let’s look at the facts on Napoles
  • Divorce measure challenges Catholics
  • Introducing concierge and single-window service
  • Global Nation

  • CHR: Welfare of OFWs remains a priority, along with drug killings
  • Cebu Pacific cancels Taipei-Manila flight due to ‘technical’ problem
  • Palace urges Filipinos worldwide to join Earth Hour 2018
  • No Filipino hurt in ‘terror attack’ in southern France —DFA
  • US Navy warship closely sails off Mischief Reef

    • Compensation commission releases P2.3-M to aid Marawi soldiers

      Read More

    • PNP can’t always fool public with ‘nanlaban’ claims – solons

      Read More

    • Poll: Most dislike NFL protests and Trump comments

      Read More

    • Former Mexico governor wanted in US arrested

      Read More

    • US: Nobel Peace choice doesn’t change US stance

      Read More

    • California becomes first ‘sanctuary state’ for undocumented migrants

      Read More

    • Mexican photojournalist found dead after kidnapping

      Read More

    • Moscow gets 130 fake bomb calls, evacuates 100,000 people

      Read More

    • Frustrated police appeal for public’s help in Vegas case

      Read More

    • US states declare emergency ahead of Tropical Storm Nate

      Read More

    • Trump’s one-two punch hits birth control, LGBT rights

      Read More

    • Maute terror base overrun; priest rescued

      Read More

    • CHR execs rebut Duterte: Gascon not a pedophile

      Read More

    • De Lima on Estrada’s bail: We may as well decriminalize plunder

      Read More

    • Army whistle-blower now in hiding

      Read More