Quantcast

More storm survivors to spend Christmas in new homes

By ,

Elena Bituon and her family, who survived Supertyphoon “Yolanda,” will spend a merrier Christmas in their new house in Tacloban City. —JOEY A. GABIETA

Elena Bituon and her family, who survived Supertyphoon “Yolanda,” will spend a merrier Christmas in their new house in Tacloban City. —JOEY A. GABIETA

TACLOBAN CITY—Fish vendor Arjun Bituon and his family have another reason to be merry and thankful this Christmas.

They will be celebrating the birth of Christ in a new house, along with 280 families who were displaced by Supertyphoon “Yolanda” (international name: Haiyan) and moved on Monday to permanent houses at North Harbours Village in Barangay Santo Niño, 13 kilometers away from the city center.

The transfer marked a new beginning for Bituon, his wife Elena, and two children—Jirah Faith, 8, and Jade Ivan, 1. The couple lost their house and two other children—Argel, 7 and Shaun Rinzel, 10 months—in the storm surge whipped up by Yolanda on Nov. 8, 2013.

“This is now our new home and beginning today, we will start to build our dreams and our future,” Elena said.

Though the bodies of the two children were never found, Elena said the family’s new residence had given them something to smile about. The 40-square-meter unit was bigger than the shanty they occupied in Barangay 88, San Jose District.

Secretary Michael Lloyd Dino, presidential adviser for the Visayas, said the resettlement of the families stemmed from a directive of President Duterte to relocate those still living in danger zones and temporary shelters by December. The transfer to permanent houses came 18 days after Mr. Duterte’s visit to Tacloban to commemorate the third anniversary of Yolanda.

“We still have 12,500 settlers that need to transfer to their permanent homes. We hope by 2017, all will be settled in their new homes,” Mayor Cristina Gonzales Romualdez said.

A ceremonial switch lighting by the Leyte Electric Cooperative of 48 houses was held on Sunday night. Linemen will work round-the-clock to make sure all houses will be bright this Christmas, Romualdez said.

The President sent five Ceres buses to Tacloban to help in the relocation. The buses will be used to shuttle students and workers from North Harbours to the city for the next six months until new public vehicles are deployed in the site.

Dorcas Secreto, estate specialist management of the National Housing Authority (NHA) regional office, said 14,433 houses were to be built in 11 resettlement sites, of which 4,346 were ready for occupancy. The rest were still in “various stages of construction,” she said.

Based on NHA records, 2,101 families had been resettled at RidgeView 1 and 2 in Barangay Cabalawan; 172 families at Villa Sofia in Barangay Tagpuro; 322 families at Villa Diana in Barangay New Kawayan; and 720 families at the Tacloban North Village in Barangay Cabalawan.

Romualdez said the city government, with the assistance of other government agencies, would provide livelihood assistance to the storm survivors.

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

Copyright © 2018,

To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.

Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate: c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94



News

  • Widow of vigilante killings victim also gunned down in Caloocan
  • Sister Fox dismayed by deportation order
  • BI orders deportation of Sister Fox
  • Russia slams proposal to question Trump summit translator
  • PH flag carrier PAL included in world’s Top 50 Airlines  
  • Sports

  • Sex abuse victims join hands, accept courage award at ESPYs
  • With Leonard gone, a new look for Popovich and the Spurs
  • Jones Cup: Ateneo chalks up 2nd straight win at expense of Indonesia
  • NFL Cowboys stay atop Forbes list of world’s richest sport teams
  • Gilas closed door home game ‘painful,’ admits SBP chief
  • Lifestyle

  • 
Police post mugshot of lost dog, bail paid in cookies
  • 
Argentina airport evacuated due to grenade-like pot grinder
  • Swatch makes up for lost time with record sales
  • Shoots for the stars: Briton grows microgreens for top French chefs
  • Dildo-covered Wall Street ‘Charging Bull’ stands as protest against Trump, Putin
  • Entertainment

  • ‘Rowan Atkinson is dead’ fake posts may give computers virus
  • Martin Nievera on Duterte: Best singing president of all presidents
  • Child contestant on ‘It’s Showtime’ shocks, amuses with comments on police
  • LOOK: Macky Mathay’s birthday dedication to his ‘dose of sunlight, rain or shine’ Sunshine Cruz
  • WATCH: New trailer of Victor Magtanggol
  • Business

  • DOF: Investors’ tax perks reach P376B in 2015-2016
  • Taiwan utility feels the summer heat
  • ADB: PH annual inflation to hit 6-year high of 4.3% in 2018
  • Businesses to benefit from PESONet
  • CA upholds PAL policy on flight attendants’ retirement age
  • Technology

  • Zuckerberg: Holocaust deniers won’t be banned from Facebook
  • Astronomers spy nearby star that could be munching on a planet
  • Skype update brings @mentions, HD video and more
  • EU fines Google a record $5 billion over mobile system
  • Tencent wins lawsuit against ‘Mobile Legends’ developers
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, July 19, 2018
  • Still no end to ‘endo’
  • ‘Rock Solid’: PH’s maritime win vs China
  • Let’s accept mental health
  • Cuba’s charms and contradictions
  • Global Nation

  • US gives PH $26M to boost counterterrorism efforts
  • Palace downplays US sanction vs PH regarding Russia arms deal
  • Esperon explains PH strategy in WPS
  • Duterte administration releases national security strategy
  • DFA opens Philippine Consulate in Serbia
  • PHOTOS AND VIDEOS

    • Cops arrest 6 ‘Basag Kotse’ suspects

      Read More

    • Honest naia cabbie cited for exemplary deed

      Read More

    • Mom of 5-year-old girl with leukemia looking for more good samaritans

      Read More

    • Compensation commission releases P2.3-M to aid Marawi soldiers

      Read More

    • PNP can’t always fool public with ‘nanlaban’ claims – solons

      Read More

    • Poll: Most dislike NFL protests and Trump comments

      Read More

    • Former Mexico governor wanted in US arrested

      Read More

    • US: Nobel Peace choice doesn’t change US stance

      Read More

    • California becomes first ‘sanctuary state’ for undocumented migrants

      Read More

    • Mexican photojournalist found dead after kidnapping

      Read More

    • Moscow gets 130 fake bomb calls, evacuates 100,000 people

      Read More

    • Frustrated police appeal for public’s help in Vegas case

      Read More

    • US states declare emergency ahead of Tropical Storm Nate

      Read More

    • Trump’s one-two punch hits birth control, LGBT rights

      Read More

    • Maute terror base overrun; priest rescued

      Read More