Quantcast

Mexican photojournalist found dead after kidnapping

View of a picture of slain Mexican photojournalist Edgar Daniel Castro displayed in front of the government’s palace during a demonstration to demand justice for his murder, in San Luis Potosi, Mexico on October 6, 2017.
Castro was kidnapped from his house by gunmen and was found dead on Friday in San Luis Potosi. AFP PHOTO / YURI CORTEZ

MEXICO CITY — A photojournalist who received threats over his work has been found dead in northern Mexico a day after he was kidnapped, officials said Friday, making him the 11th journalist killed in the country this year.

The government’s Mechanism to Protect Journalists and Rights Activists called for an “immediate and effective investigation” into the killing of Edgar Daniel Esqueda Castro, 23, who was reportedly kidnapped Thursday by gunmen posing as police officers in the city of San Luis Potosi.

There were immediate protests in Mexico, which drug wars and corruption have made one of the most dangerous countries in the world for the press, according to rights groups.

Esqueda’s body was found dumped near the San Luis Potosi airport, bound and bearing signs of torture, according to local media reports and the rights group Reporters Without Borders.

His wife told the press freedom watchdog that gunmen claiming to be police had burst into their home while they slept early Thursday, thrown Esqueda to the floor and then hauled him away at gunpoint.

Prosecutors said Thursday that no actual police were suspected in the crime.

But San Luis Potosi Governor Juan Manuel Carreras told a press conference Friday that one line of investigation included the possible involvement of “public officials.”

The federal protection program said Esqueda, who worked for the daily newspaper Metropoli San Luis and the news website Vox Populi, had recently told authorities that state police had threatened and harassed him while he was working.

He said five police officers had threatened to beat him up and take his camera while he photographed the scene of a shootout on July 4, forcing him to delete his photos.

Nine days later, police reportedly harassed him again, saying they “would be watching him” because they suspected he was “passing information to the bad guys,” the federal protection program said in a statement.

The program had asked local authorities to grant Esqueda protective measures.

But it is unclear whether he was ever given any of the measures offered by the program, such as security cameras, panic buttons or bodyguards. The interior ministry did not immediately respond to a request for information.

The protection program, launched in 2012, has been widely criticized for failing to stop the murders of journalists and activists.

‘Enough already’

Colleagues of the slain photojournalist protested in San Luis Potosi after his body was found, placing their cameras on the ground atop handwritten signs reading “Enough already” and “Justice.”

The Latin America director for Reporters Without Borders, Emmanuel Colombie, condemned the “hateful crime,” calling on authorities to punish Esqueda’s killers and protect his family.

Rights groups say at least 11 journalists have been killed in Mexico so far in 2017. That would put this year on a par with last as the deadliest ever for journalists in Mexico.

It is unclear whether they were all targeted because of their work, but most of them had been reporting on drug cartels or political corruption.

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

Copyright © 2017,

To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.

Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate: c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94



News

  • Duterte set to visit storm-damaged areas in Visayas
  • Woman gets 2 to 6 years in jail for running over Ateneo student
  • LOOK: Parody social media page offers events services in Malacañang
  • Ejercito: Hasty Denvaxia purchase a case of technical malversation
  • 2 soldiers injured in ambush by NPA rebels in Northern Samar
  • Sports

  • Chris Ross shows out with mom in attendance
  • Fajardo downplays SMB 4-peat quest
  • Stalzer plans to return to Petron
  • San Miguel opens PH Cup 4-peat bid with win over Phoenix
  • Young Taki Saito displays grace in first appearance as PBA muse
  • Lifestyle

  • DAY 3: Simbang Gabi at St Pauls
  • Weird but cute: Japan’s capsule toys play big in Internet age
  • 4 simple tips on how to avoid burnout this holiday season
  • Shoemaker Robert Clergerie finally puts his feet up
  • From Colgate Lasagna to the monoski, flops take center stage in Museum of Failure
  • Entertainment

  • Goodbye, gladiators: 4 TV shows to catch before they end in 2018
  • Sharon Cuneta to daughter Frankie on her 17th birthday: ‘I’ll call you baby for as long as I’m alive’
  • Mira Sorvino brought to tears as Peter Jackson recounts Weinstein smear campaign on actresses
  • ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ boasts $45 million opening night
  • LOOK: Aiko Melendez celebrates birthday with ‘Wildflower’ cast
  • Business

  • Thai chain perks up coffee sector
  • RJ Guitar’s ‘Broadcaster’ out to rock the music world
  • Filipinos happy with their relationships
  • Marrying passion with profit
  • Want just the lechon belly? Call Bai
  • Technology

  • Mammoth skeleton sells for over $600K at French auction
  • Does playing action video games change your brain?
  • Fingerprint scanners may soon appear embedded in smartphone screens
  • ‘Snooze’ feature on FB lets users temporarily hide people, pages
  • Facebook: Using social media can make you feel bad
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, December 17, 2017
  • Unending bane of child porn
  • Where is ‘Dutertismo’ headed?
  • Confidentiality of SC deliberations
  • Simple joys
  • Global Nation

  • China dismisses ‘hype’ over military buildup
  • PH, Cambodia agree to fight ‘fake news’
  • Retirement haven: PH targets 80,000 retirees by 2020
  • Where have all IS fighters gone? They’ve run away to fight another day
  • EU moves to protect seafarers, including Pinoys
  • PHOTOS AND VIDEOS

    • Compensation commission releases P2.3-M to aid Marawi soldiers

      Read More

    • PNP can’t always fool public with ‘nanlaban’ claims – solons

      Read More

    • Poll: Most dislike NFL protests and Trump comments

      Read More

    • Former Mexico governor wanted in US arrested

      Read More

    • US: Nobel Peace choice doesn’t change US stance

      Read More

    • California becomes first ‘sanctuary state’ for undocumented migrants

      Read More

    • Mexican photojournalist found dead after kidnapping

      Read More

    • Moscow gets 130 fake bomb calls, evacuates 100,000 people

      Read More

    • Frustrated police appeal for public’s help in Vegas case

      Read More

    • US states declare emergency ahead of Tropical Storm Nate

      Read More

    • Trump’s one-two punch hits birth control, LGBT rights

      Read More

    • Maute terror base overrun; priest rescued

      Read More

    • CHR execs rebut Duterte: Gascon not a pedophile

      Read More

    • De Lima on Estrada’s bail: We may as well decriminalize plunder

      Read More

    • Army whistle-blower now in hiding

      Read More