Quantcast

Makabayan bloc files bill seeking to scrap pork barrel

By

ACT Teachers Representative Antonio Tinio. Photo from congress.gov.ph

MANILA, Philippines — Despite knowing that it will be an unpopular measure, the Makabayan bloc on Wednesday filed a bill seeking to abolish pork barrel funds.

House Bill 1535 or An Act Abolishing the “Pork Barrel” System by Prohibiting the Allocation and Use of Funds for such Purpose” sought to get rid of pork barrel funds, which the bloc saw as “a massive source of graft and corruption.”

ACT Teachers Representative Antonio Tinio said the measure will most likely be met by strong opposition but said they would urge fellow lawmakers to support HB 1535.

“This is where public opinion comes in. We need to hear many sectors and groups taking a stand for the abolition of pork and the dismantling of patronage politics – the religious, academe, professional organizations, workers, farmers. They can exert the pressure that could turn the tide in Congress,” he said.

The Makabayan bloc is composed of five partylist groups in the House of Representatives. Seven lawmakers make up its group in the 16th Congress.

The priority development assistance fund (PDAF) otherwise known as pork barrel has been under intense scrutiny as the Inquirer ran reports on an alleged decade-long abuse of the funds worth P10 billion, involving 28 lawmakers and bogus nongovernment organizations.

Bayan Muna Representative Carlos Zarate knew the measure would face tough adversaries but said they would ask fellow House members for support.

“We will discuss this with our House colleagues and convince them that pork abolition will eventually be for the best interest of our people, especially the poor majority,” he said.

Zarate said they would first talk to “like-minded colleagues.”

Cagayan de Oro Representative Rufus Rodriguez has earlier called on the House of Representatives to look into the scam as it questioned the integrity of the PDAF.

But many House members felt that abolishing the pork barrel would not rid the government of corruption and would be detrimental to useful projects.

Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr. has earlier maintained that congressmen needed their pork barrel to assist their constituents.

This was also what Ifugao Representative Teddy Baguilat Jr. felt.

“This is not to imply that the Makabayan’s position has bad intentions. It’s just untenable given local political dynamics where many district congressmen are judged by their constituency on the pet projects and direct services they give to their constituencies,” he told INQUIRER.net.

He earlier described the pork barrel to be an “equalizer” for districts that lack funding for certain services.

Baguilat said that scholarships, medical assistance, small infrastructure like day care centers or water systems were among lawmakers’ projects which were “largely funded by PDAF.”

“What’s perhaps more realistic is to institute more safeguards to ensure that the funds are not malversed. Enforcement of DBM (Department of Budget and Management) regulations is the key,” he said.

Belmonte said that the DBM reduced the PDAF menu “a couple of times during the 15th Congress. It is quite strict now.”

Baguilat echoed this and said that the DBM had earlier reminded House members “that funds can’t be coursed through foundations and NGOs.”

“That’s why the PDAF is channeled to line agencies and LGUs (local government units) who have accounting procedures and COA oversight,” said the Ifugao lawmaker.

He said he was puzzled that there was a “breakdown” of the said system with other House members since all of them knew “this was prohibited under this administration.”

“If it occurred during the GMA (Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo) era, then that was the protocol before but as far as I know, this was prohibited under this administration,” said Baguilat.

Despite being against the scrapping of lawmakers’ pork barrel funds, Belmonte said that they still “have to continue measures that avoid abuse or fraud.”

Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

Copyright © 2014,

To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.

Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate: c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94



News

  • Islamic State group becomes target of Arab satire
  • NBP inmate takes female civilian as hostage
  • BuCor jails congested by as much as 249 percent–report
  • Japan urges toilet paper stock for major quake
  • Gunman in New Zealand kills 2, flees on bicycle
  • Sports

  • Marathon match OK, marathon no way—Errani
  • Belinda Bencic, 17, reaches US Open quarterfinals
  • Senators go to bat for PH sports
  • Down at half, US beats Turkey in Fiba World Cup
  • Gilas Pilipinas gives Greece a fight in close loss
  • Lifestyle

  • Japan confirms more dengue infections—officials
  • F. Sionil José issues list of recommended books
  • ‘If I Stay’: Young Adult novel on life and death now a movie
  • Because of heritage protest, DPWH halts Nueva Vizcaya road project
  • León to auction off pieces from distinguished collections
  • Entertainment

  • Googling yourself hurts, says Miley Cyrus
  • Screenings of Lav’s winning films set
  • Mark Gil passes away
  • Two acts that didn’t disapppoint–one of them Filipino
  • Apparent Hollywood hack attack nabs stars’ nude pix
  • Business

  • Century Properties to diversify into commercial leasing
  • SM Prime raises P20 billion from bond offer
  • DoubleDragon takes over mothballed Skysuites project
  • Korean Air introduces Tenth Airbus A380
  • Chinese e-commerce rivals challenge Alibaba
  • Technology

  • ALS Ice Bucket Challenge arrives in North Korea
  • ‘Internet fasting’—returning to the real world
  • PH ranks 8th in Ice Bucket Challenge participation
  • Google tests using drones to deliver goods
  • DigiTech conference, Best of Anime to keep September busy
  • Opinion

  • Aquino-SC standoff dangerous to balance of power
  • Editorial cartoon, September 01, 2014
  • Independent Sereno
  • What’s behind MRT-3’s problems
  • Just say no
  • Global Nation

  • On pullout of peacekeepers: Safety of PH troops paramount, AFP says
  • Azcuna vows help for Filipinos won’t end
  • RM awardees modern-day heroes, says Aquino
  • ‘Mad’ plan for educating kids
  • China’s environment lawyer serves poor
  • PHOTOS AND VIDEOS

    • Palace exec takes on ‘MRT Rush Hour Challenge’

      Read More

    • Drilon takes on ice bucket challenge

      Read More

    • 6 dead in Paris suburb building explosion

      Read More

    • US airstrikes and aid for Iraqi town under siege

      Read More

    • Fighting motorcycle crimes with motorcycles

      Read More

    • Angelina Jolie calls for new bid to end Syria war

      Read More

    • Russia closes 12 McDonald’s branches, inspects 100

      Read More

    • Belmonte: No need to amend Charter’s political provisions

      Read More

    • Wife of slain racing champ, 2 others under ‘lookout’ order

      Read More

    • Nancy Binay opposes anti-dynasty bill

      Read More

    • Police say Abu Sayyaf now kidnapping just about anybody

      Read More

    • What is the reason in proposing an Aquino term extension?

      Read More

    • Pagasa expects at least 3 storms to hit PH in September

      Read More

    • Prison execs face suspension over special treatment of convicted drug lord

      Read More

    • Iceland raises volcano alert to red after eruption

      Read More