Quantcast

2 ships in collision asked to pay P41M

By

RELATIVES attach pictures of their missing loved ones in a tent in front of Cosmopolitan Funeral Parlor at Jonquira Street, Barangay Kamagayan, Cebu City. JUNJIE MENDOZA/CEBU DAILY NEWS

CEBU CITY—The owners of two ships that collided in the waters off Talisay City on Aug. 16 are required to pay a fine of P41.704 million as compensation for destroying 443 hectares of mangroves in Cordova town and Lapu-Lapu City.

The 2GO management was also ordered to salvage their vessel, the MV St. Thomas Aquinas, which sank in the waters off Lawis Ledge in Talisay since its cargo and debris pose risks to vessels passing the narrow pathway to Cebu port.

In a demand letter dated Oct. 1, the Department of Environment and Natural Resources in Central Visayas (DENR-7) directed Enrique Go, Philippine Span Asia Carrier Corp. (PSACC) chair, and 2GO chair Francis Chua to pay the fine not later than Nov. 15.

The P41.704 million would be used to finance the livelihood projects for people’s organizations whose members were affected by the sinking of the St. Thomas Aquinas, said DENR-7 Regional Executive Director Isabelo Montejo in a press statement.

He said failure to pay would result in the filing of charges.

2GO assistant vice president Lito Salvio said the letter would be forwarded to their legal office for review once they receive a copy of the DENR letter.

The Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) also sent a demand letter to 2GO management last week, directing the company to recover the sunken vessel.

Coast Guard operations officer Cmdr. Weniel Azcuna noted that the St. Thomas Aquinas, with its container vans and debris, could pose a danger to passing vessels.

The environmental hazard from the sunken vessel was still possible with the oil machinery inside the vessel, Azcuna added. The siphoning of the oil from the St. Thomas Aquinas was completed on Sept. 24.

However, the PCG had not given a deadline to the company regarding the salvaging of their vessel, Azcuna said.

The St. Thomas Aquinas of the 2GO group sank after it collided with Sulpicio Express Siete of the PSACC while entering Cebu port on Aug. 16. At least 116 persons were killed while 21 others remained missing.

Oil, however, leaked from the St. Thomas Aquinas, which affected mangroves in Cordova town and Lapu-Lapu City on Mactan Island. The ferry contained 20,000 liters of diesel fuel, 120,000 liters of bunker fuel and 20,000 liters of engine oil.

In his demand letter, Montejo indicated that 328 ha of newly planted mangroves and another 115 ha of productive mangroves were affected by the oil spill. These mangroves were located in 12 barangays in Cordova town and Lapu-Lapu City.

He said the 328 ha of newly planted mangrove plantation project cost P5.935 million, funded by the DENR-Integrated Coastal Resource Management Project.

The DENR-7 also estimated that fish lost in a year per hectare of the destroyed mangroves would reach P354,769,600, computed by multiplying estimated kilos of fish per year (447,120 kilos) by P80 per kilo.

Montejo explained that their decision to impose a fine on the two companies was based on Sections 6 and 9 of Chapter 2 of Republic Act No. 9483, or the Oil Pollution Compensation Act of 2007.

Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

Copyright © 2014,

To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.

Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate: c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94



News

  • Nick Joaquin: ‘Those who displayed an enjoyable recklessness’
  • Binay accuser accused of bigamy; Bondal laughs off raps
  • Top execs remember martial law
  • Lifestyle checks up for Binay, Purisima
  • Go for original stories, YA lit authors tell young writers
  • Sports

  • Wushu ends PH wait for Asian Games medals
  • Gilas Pilipinas gets going vs India
  • Boxing draw Wednesday; Filipinos upbeat
  • Ateneo Blue Eagles, FEU Tamaraws say Final 4 duels too close to call
  • Lions protest Altas’ victory
  • Lifestyle

  • Running, workouts, golf: How Peter Coyiuto keeps fit at 60
  • The fit 40-plus family man
  • Peter Coyiuto shows a lighter side to 60
  • What’s an old soul?
  • Do you have male menopause?
  • Entertainment

  • Boyz II Men can still make ’em sigh, swoon and sing along
  • Piolo Pascual told to keep mum on quitting
  • An ‘A’ grade for ‘Dementia’
  • Top actors in ‘teleseryes’ fall short of thespic mark
  • ‘Gutz’ made Annabelle Rama ‘famous’
  • Business

  • SMC lost money on PAL investment
  • August surplus trims 8-mo BOP deficit
  • Vista Land launches P1.7-B condo project on Taft
  • PSEi closes lower
  • DoubleDragon builds CityMall in Boracay
  • Technology

  • Microsoft delays launch of Xbox in China – company
  • Filipino scientist helps make cooking on Mars possible
  • NASA’s MAVEN enters Mars orbit
  • Alcatel OneTouch Idol X+ perfectly matches design with Octa Core performance
  • SpaceX launches 3-D printer, other station gear
  • Opinion

  • Risky powers
  • Other prisms
  • Elephant in the room
  • Marcos was the worst (2): The SC
  • Outdated restrictions
  • Global Nation

  • Korean drugged, robbed of valuables, cash by 5 in Manila
  • Aegis apologizes to PH for derogatory video
  • BI gets nod to deport German national
  • Fresh batch of PH peacekeepers off to Haiti
  • Aegis Malaysia urged to explain derogatory video about PH
  • PHOTOS AND VIDEOS

    • New Zealand leader wants flag vote held next year

      Read More

    • New Afghan president, but vote totals kept secret

      Read More

    • Australia to prohibit secret service torture

      Read More

    • Yemen government signs peace deal with Shiites

      Read More

    • Vietnam debates sex work: ‘social evil’ or legitimate job?

      Read More

    • 32 structures destroyed in California wildfire

      Read More

    • Thousands march in Moscow against Ukraine fighting

      Read More

    • Thousands rally worldwide over climate change

      Read More

    • Manila opens ‘eco-footbridge’

      Read More

    • Screenwriter Ricky Lee lived 3 lives in detention

      Read More

    • ‘No hero’s burial for Marcos’

      Read More

    • Storms cause P1.14B in crop damage

      Read More

    • ‘I’m afraid but I must write to let young people know’—Fr. Benjamin Alforque

      Read More

    • 49 Turks kidnapped by IS militants freed

      Read More

    • ‘Mario’ slows down as it heads out of PH

      Read More