Quantcast

Aquino gave De Lima go signal for seeking passport cancellations

By

President Benigno Aquino III. AP FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines—President Benigno Aquino was notified of the Department of Justice’s decision to ask for the cancellation of the passports of Senators Juan Ponce Enrile, Jinggoy Estrada and Ramon Revilla Jr. and 34 others charged with plunder in the Office of the Ombudsman.

“The President is aware of it, yes. Secretary de Lima informed the President,” said Palace spokeswoman Abigail Valte, when asked at a news briefing on Friday if Justice Secretary Leila De Lima’s action had been “given the go signal by the President.”

Valte, a lawyer, denied that this was part the administration’s way of putting pressure on the three senators, who are all members of the opposition.

“So, again, as prosecutors, it is perfectly understandable that the Department of Justice would undertake measures within the law to make sure that the respondents face the charges against them,” Valte said.

While the ground invoked by De Lima was “national security” Valte said, “I don’t think that the justice department classified them as threats to national security. I understand that the ground that is being invoked is in the interest of national security.”

“You know, as prosecutors in this particular case, they are expected… to undertake any and all measures within the law to make sure that the respondents face the charges against them. However, given that the cancellation is being sought under a particular law and under a different department, it will have to go through the proper evaluation,” she added.

In asking the Department of Foreign Affairs to cancel the passports of the three senators and their fellow respondents, De Lima told Foreign Undersecretary Rafael Seguis that there was “sufficient basis in fact and law to cancel the passports.”

She cited the Passport Act, which states that “in the interest of national security, public safety and public health, the secretary or any of the authorized consular officers may, after due hearing and in their proper discretion, refuse to issue a passport, or restrict its use or withdraw or cancel a passport.”

She said the government considered graft and corruption a national security issue  “because it saps public resources, undermines the morale of the civil service and affects the delivery of basic services.”

The crime, she added, “breeds socio-political instability as scandals degenerate into crisis situations that undermine the credibility and effectiveness of the government.”

Valte said in evaluating the DOJ’s request, the foreign office would also “be giving due consideration to, or at least receiving the opposition or the comment of, the persons who are subject of the application.”

She said the justice department had to “resort to means that would allow them to prosecute the case with less delay as possible” because several respondents were able to leave the country in the absence of formal charges filed against them in the Sandiganbayan.

“Given the gravity of the allegations that have been leveled against the respondents, we understood the step taken by the DOJ,” Valte said, adding, “Given that there are respondents that are said to have left the country while the charges are still at the Office of the Ombudsman, you can’t blame the DOJ because it wants to make sure that the case proceeds smoothly.”

Related Stories:

 

DOJ asks DFA to cancel passport of Enrile, Estrada, Revilla

DFA to ask Enrile, 2 other senators to comment on passport cancellation request

Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

Copyright © 2014,

To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.

Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate: c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94



News

  • Girl, 9, accidentally shoots dead US instructor with Uzi
  • QC pouring P100M for ‘Boulevard of Stars’
  • Did you know? President Ramon Magsaysay
  • HEARD ON INQUIRER RADIO 990AM
  • Ernesto Mercado’s mea culpa
  • Sports

  • Andray Blatche Asian Games stint starting to look bleak
  • Tams sweep Archers, grab solo UAAP lead
  • Manny Pacquiao tapping World Peace for Kia
  • Altas, Blazers boost NCAA Final Four bid
  • Army, Cagayan start V-League title tiff
  • Lifestyle

  • Home store opens flagship at SM Megamall
  • Peace of mind seminar slated
  • Robert Hass wins $100,000 poetry prize
  • Canadian design company redefines utilitarian style
  • Sleep on a mattress that can make you healthier
  • Entertainment

  • Agents of Ambush, August 28, 2014
  • Tuldok, August 28, 2014
  • A. Lipin, August 28, 2014
  • Lakan at Makisig, August 28, 2014
  • Fireworks, tears at Heart Evangelista-Chiz Escudero engagement
  • Business

  • Task force vs illegal drugs, trafficking up
  • Stronger economy in Q2 seen
  • PH stocks rise for 6th day
  • Asia shares higher after S&P 500 breaks record
  • No acceptable offers for 500,000-metric-ton rice import at NFA bidding
  • Technology

  • Instagram launches time-lapse video app for iPhone
  • Mobile use bad for school test scores–Japan study
  • Top 10 songs and albums on the iTunes Store
  • Study: Social media users shy away from opinions
  • Apple recalls defective iPhone 5 batteries, offers replacement
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, August 28, 2014
  • Decapitating the truth
  • ‘Let them eat cake’
  • Disputing treason because of Itu Aba
  • Should we amend the Constitution?
  • Global Nation

  • Daly City dentist linked to gun smuggling probe dies
  • ‘PH is 2nd top destination of criminal suspects fleeing South Korea’
  • ‘Yolanda’ victims need continuous help – ICRC head
  • Filipino, Swedish arrested in credit card, ATM fraud in Thailand
  • Peaceful progress still elusive in PH – study
  • PHOTOS AND VIDEOS

    • Swiss satisfied by first sex drive-in

      Read More

    • Japan ready to offer flu drug for Ebola treatment

      Read More

    • Sofia zoo shut after mysterious animal deaths

      Read More

    • New York risks ‘return to bad old days’

      Read More

    • Quake is major test for hard-luck California city

      Read More

    • Bomb scare hits UP Baguio; campus evacuated

      Read More

    • UP Professor Florin Hilbay named acting SolGen

      Read More

    • AP source: American militant said killed in Syria

      Read More

    • Australia tycoon apologizes for calling Chinese gov’t ‘mongrels’

      Read More

    • In Ifugao, a ritual after a bountiful rice harvest

      Read More

    • PhilHealth coverage for all seniors sought

      Read More

    • ‘Binay made money from Makati building’

      Read More

    • De Lima, Henares take ‘ice bucket challenge’

      Read More

    • Binay benefited from ‘overpriced’ Makati building—former ally

      Read More

    • Binay: ‘I swear by God I’ve not received’ kickbacks

      Read More