Quantcast

Key changes in vital military posts set this week

By

Lt. General Roy Deveraturda. photo from Central Command website

MANILA, Philippines—Changes in crucial military posts are set to take effect this week with the retirement of a senior military officer.

Armed Forces of the Philippines chief General Emmanuel Bautista confirmed to reporters at Camp Aguinaldo on Monday the changes in some of the key military posts.

Western Mindanao Command (Wesmincom) chief Lieutenant General Rey Ardo will retire on Saturday and will be replaced by Western Command (Wescom) chief Lieutenant General Rustico Guerrero, a Marine officer and a graduate of Philippine Military Academy Class of 1981. Guerrero also previously headed an anti-terror unit in Sulu.

The Wesmincom, based at Camp Gen. Navarro in Zamboanga City, deals with terrorists and insurgents including the Abu Sayyaf, Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters and rogue members of the Moro National Liberation Front. The Wescom, meanwhile, is based at Camp Gen. Artemio Ricarte in Palawan and handles issues on the West Philippine Sea.

The incoming Wescom chief is Air Force Lt. General Roy Deveraturda, former chief of the Central Command based at Camp Lapu-Lapu in Cebu City. He is a member of the Philippine Air Force Flying School of 1980. He is also an attack pilot and instructor pilot.

“We usually appoint Navy or Air Force (officer for Wescom). General Deveraturda is very familiar (with Wescom) being formerly with J5 or Deputy Chief for Plans. He is familiar with strategic situations,” Bautista told reporters.

Set to take over the Central Command is Major General John Bonafos, chief of the Special Operations Command based in Fort Magsaysay in Nueva Ecija. He heads all the Army’s elite troops — the Special Forces, Scout Rangers and the Light Reaction Battalion. He is a member of PMA Class of 1982.

“He is a capable officer. He has been assigned to that area before. He is very familiar there,” the AFP chief said of Bonafos.

Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

Copyright © 2014,

To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.

Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate: c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94



News

  • Tributes pour in for poorest senator Juan Flavier
  • Thousands living among the dead
  • Enzo slay witness in NBI custody
  • Aquino inspects key transport terminals
  • 2 Koreans nabbed for extortion
  • Sports

  • Aces shoot lights out of Bolts, seize lead
  • A time to remember and reflect
  • Age-group wars fire off PCA Open
  • ‘All In’ charity game set
  • CV tossers too classy for Meralco
  • Lifestyle

  • Church warns yoga, feng shui practitioners
  • Manila gets another style boost with Alexander Wang x H&M
  • ‘Paglaom’: How theater has become an instrument of healing and remembering in post-‘Yolanda’ Visayas
  • Ballet Manila presents ‘Swan Lake’ anew
  • 2014 Namcya National Final competitions all set on Nov. 18-23
  • Entertainment

  • Mark Bautista rides dictator’s coattails to West End
  • Stars in the news
  • ‘Walking Dead’ creator isn’t dark and brooding
  • Tom Hanks gets serious
  • Managing hypertension
  • Business

  • 2 firms seek fiscal perks from gov’t
  • PH secures $300-M loan from WB
  • PSEi back at 7,200
  • Death: Only Lazarus can refute
  • 4 common myths about depression
  • Technology

  • Focus on social listening
  • Co-creator of Android mobile software leaves Google
  • Smartphone sales lifted by emerging markets
  • Computers help search for the dead
  • 9 common scams on social media
  • Opinion

  • Editorial Cartoon, November 1, 2014
  • Poor and hungry
  • ‘Our place in Batangas’
  • Inclusive corruption
  • Questions
  • Global Nation

  • Sueselbeck deportation a ‘win-win’ situation–military
  • MIAA suspends fare, terminal fee integration order
  • Pasay court stops planned integration of terminal fee into airfare
  • Sueselbeck visits Laude grave on eve of return to Germany
  • Laude fiancé to leave PH on Nov. 1
  • PHOTOS AND VIDEOS

    • Aquino inspects key transport terminals

      Read More

    • Burkina Faso leader steps down, vote in 90 days

      Read More

    • Audio recording of Binay interview‎ on Batangas property bared

      Read More

    • Zambian president dies after long illness

      Read More

    • Obama on Ebola fight: US can’t seal itself off

      Read More

    • 100 buried alive in Sri Lanka tea region mudslide–minister

      Read More

    • Filipino ‘mash-up’ artist shares instant fame

      Read More

    • Makati implements traffic rerouting, road closures starting Oct. 31

      Read More

    • Poll finds some Anglican priests do not believe in God

      Read More

    • NASA commercial supply rocket explodes at liftoff

      Read More

    • Aquino: No more 2nd term

      Read More

    • [VIDEO] Liberian doctor uses HIV drug on Ebola patients

      Read More

    • [VIDEO] Kidnapped Nigerian women tell of Boko Haram abuse

      Read More

    • Hong Kong activists mark one month of ‘Umbrella Movement’

      Read More

    • Hawaii lava forces residents to get ready to flee

      Read More