Quantcast

Army whistle-blower now in hiding

ZAMBOANGA CITY — An Army corporal said he continued to fear for his safety and that of his family after he came out in the open with allegations of corruption against his mother unit.

Cpl. Melvin Alfonso, who has two children, said he and his family were in hiding now.

In May 2017, Alfonso started exposing the alleged irregularities at the Nueva Ecija-based 7th Infantry Division of the Army by sending a letter to then newly elected President Rodrigo Duterte.

Alfonso claimed he knew about the irregularities involving funds labeled as return to sender (RTS) because he was assigned to the Army division’s Management and Fiscal Office (MFO).

He said when he became part of the staff of the MFO in 2014, he moved to Fort Magsaysay in Nueva Ecija, where his exposure to corruption allegedly involving senior officers started.

He said the 7th ID had three brigades—701st, 702nd and 703rd—and six battalions (3rd, 24th, 48th, 56th, 69th, 71st, 81st, 84th, Civil and Military Battalion, Headquarters Service Battalion and Service Support Battalion).

Shock

Alfonso said that during his first few months at the MFO, he was shocked at how funds were misused.

“(For) example, (out of) a P10 million budget for the division, only P2 million was actually used and the P8 million was labeled as [RTS]. The money (RTS) was withdrawn from government banks and delivered to (senior officials),” he said.

“My senior officers told me not to ask (questions) anymore because it was part of the Army tradition,” he added.

For every RTS, Alfonso said superior officers would hand rank-and-file soldiers amounts ranging from P5,000-P10,000.

He said he once delivered millions of pesos in cash to the MFO of the Army’s general headquarters in Fort Bonifacio in Taguig.

In 2016, Alfonso said he became a signatory to the conversion of funds into RTS.

“It came to a point that I was directed to make vouchers, check dispositions, recording process of the budget, or convert an ASA (Advise for Sub-allotment) e-mail from the MFO GHQ to funds and we have personnel tasked to produce fake receipts,” he said.

No audit?

Alfonso said all the disbursements and transactions passed through the Commission on Audit without scrutiny.

When he could not stand it anymore, he said he went into vacation.

His furlough expired on Oct. 31, 2016 and he had since been considered on Awol, or absent without leave, for not reporting back for duty.

But Alfonso said he got scared about being harmed, especially since many of his colleagues knew he was not ready to connive with those committing the irregularity.

Instead of returning to work, he decided to hide, along with his wife and two children.

After he informed Mr. Duterte of what he had discovered, Alfonso said he was finally invited to the Presidential Guest House in Malacañang on June 7.

There, he met with lawyers Daryl Ritchie Vallez, Rosbert Serona and Monica Calimbas-Lizaso. These lawyers, he said, were part of the Presidential Action Center.

Passed on to DND

“They told me the President was very busy and they handed over my case to the Department of Defense (DND),” Alfonso said.

“Since then, the threats and harassment have become intense and I kept on asking Duterte’s lawyers to take fast action on my complaints,” Alfonso said.

He said later, he learned that the DND referred back his case to the Armed Forces and subsequently to the Philippine Army.

Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla, the military spokesperson, said he still had not seen Alfonso’s actual expose.

“But I will also pass this on to people I can trust,” Padilla added. —Julie Alipala

Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

Copyright © 2017,

To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.

Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate: c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94



News

  • ‘Urduja’ weakens but continues to wreak havoc
  • Town on Burias Island placed under state of calamity due to ‘Urduja’ rains
  • Deadly California wildfire continues to grow
  • Suspected Abu Sayyaf member arrested in Quezon City
  • Pagasa: New tropical depression to enter PAR on Dec. 20
  • Sports

  • Ceres-Negros rips Global Cebu, wins 1st PFL crown
  • Double celebration for F2 import Perez with MVP award and PSL title
  • UAAP: Blue Eaglets sweep first round
  • ABL: Alab Pilipinas posts first win, routs Formosa Dreamers
  • F2 completes comeback, wins PSL Grand Prix title at expense of Petron
  • Lifestyle

  • With obesity on the rise, Paris reflects on mirrored ‘fatphobia’
  • 12 things to do in Honolulu
  • How the primitive island of Mactan became a world-class destination
  • 32 hot hits from the Korean Wave
  • Channeling Slim’s
  • Entertainment

  • Kylie Padilla posts carbon copy throwback photo of her and mom Liezl
  • Kylie Verzosa now with Viva Artists Agency
  • Lolit Solis posts photos of Ellen, John Lloyd’s ‘pre-natal check-up’
  • Disney-Fox deal may create a new nerdy nirvana
  • Stunning ‘Last Jedi’ effectively deviates from formula
  • Business

  • Inflammatory letter sheds light on Uber’s alleged misconduct
  • Fewer jobless Pinoys noted in September
  • October remittances up 8.4% to $2.28B
  • World Bank raises PH growth forecast for 2017 to 6.7%
  • ADB approves $380-M loan to rehabilitate Zamboanga roads
  • Technology

  • Facebook: Using social media can make you feel bad
  • Amazon opts for truce, prepares sales of Apple TV, Chromecast
  •  Space capsule with 3 astronauts returns to Earth
  • Artificial intelligence finds solar system with 8 planets like ours
  • Facebook moves to make more video ad money
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, December 16, 2017
  • To steal food worth P31.50
  • Unmistakable signs of deference to executive branch
  • Gainers have led since 2015
  • Machines vs people
  • Global Nation

  • EU moves to protect seafarers, including Pinoys
  • Which Asian country takes best care of its elders?
  • Duterte tours Pakistani navy ship
  • Technical bug forces Cebu Pacific plane to land in Nagoya
  • PH thumbs down Trump move declaring Jerusalem as Israel’s capital
  • PHOTOS AND VIDEOS

    • Compensation commission releases P2.3-M to aid Marawi soldiers

      Read More

    • PNP can’t always fool public with ‘nanlaban’ claims – solons

      Read More

    • Poll: Most dislike NFL protests and Trump comments

      Read More

    • Former Mexico governor wanted in US arrested

      Read More

    • US: Nobel Peace choice doesn’t change US stance

      Read More

    • California becomes first ‘sanctuary state’ for undocumented migrants

      Read More

    • Mexican photojournalist found dead after kidnapping

      Read More

    • Moscow gets 130 fake bomb calls, evacuates 100,000 people

      Read More

    • Frustrated police appeal for public’s help in Vegas case

      Read More

    • US states declare emergency ahead of Tropical Storm Nate

      Read More

    • Trump’s one-two punch hits birth control, LGBT rights

      Read More

    • Maute terror base overrun; priest rescued

      Read More

    • CHR execs rebut Duterte: Gascon not a pedophile

      Read More

    • De Lima on Estrada’s bail: We may as well decriminalize plunder

      Read More

    • Army whistle-blower now in hiding

      Read More