Quantcast

CHR execs rebut Duterte: Gascon not a pedophile

CHR Chair Chito Gascon LYN RILLON

The head of the Commission on Human Rights (CHR), Jose Luis “Chito” Gascon, is “definitely not” a pedophile, and the term cannot be used, even as a metaphor, to describe his zeal in seeking independent investigations into recent cases of teenagers being killed by police, CHR officials said on Sunday.

CHR Commissioner Gwen Pimentel-Gana and spokesperson Jacqueline de Guia defended Gascon after President Rodrigo Duterte, infuriated with the CHR for investigating alleged extrajudicial killings in his war on drugs, described the agency’s chief on Saturday as a “pedophile” for his focus on the killings of teenagers Kian Loyd delos Santos, Carl Angelo Arnaiz and possibly Reynaldo de Guzman by Caloocan police last month.

“This Gascon, he has been all about teenagers. You are like a pedophile, you son of bitch. Why do you like teenagers so much? Are you? I’m now having doubts. Are you gay or a pedophile?” said Mr. Duterte in a speech in Davao City.

“I know that Chito Gascon is not a pedophile, definitely not,” Gana said in a radio interview.

The term “pedophile,” she stressed, “cannot be used as a metaphor,” apparently in expectation of the usual Malacañang defense of Mr. Duterte’s controversial remarks: that he often cracks jokes, speaks in metaphors and employs sarcasm.

De Guia, in a text message to Reuters, said Mr. Duterte’s remarks deviated public attention from a critical human rights issue in the Philippines.

No respect for others’ dignity

“These are remarks that do not show respect for the dignity of others. The public must understand that the death of children concerns us all as they are especially vulnerable and need state protection,” she said.

Mr. Duterte also accused Gascon of being a spokesperson for the political opposition and criticized his scrutiny of police operations against illegal drugs.

“Why can’t you move on to other issues that are besetting this country?” Mr. Duterte said, citing the suffering of the people displaced by the fighting between government forces and Islamic State-inspired terrorists in Marawi City.

Jose Manuel Diokno, national chair of the Free Legal Assistance Group, also  defended Gascon against Mr. Duterte’s attack.

“President Duterte should remember that when he points his finger at someone, he’s actually pointing four fingers at himself. His remarks are absurd, ridiculous and totally uncalled for. [CHR Chair] Chito is a good man,” Diokno said.

Police have reported killing more than 3,800 people since Mr. Duterte took office 15 months ago, while thousands of others have been murdered in unexplained circumstances.

The deaths of the three teenagers have fueled rising opposition to the campaign, with the influential Catholic Church and human rights campaigners, including the CHR, among the most prominent critics.

House defunds CHR

Last week, Mr. Duterte’s majority allies in the House of Representatives hit back at the CHR, slashing its P678-million proposed budget for 2018 to just P1,000, an attempt to abolish the constitutional institution tasked with protecting human rights in the country.

Vice President Leni Robredo, a member of the opposition Liberal Party who has locked horns with Mr. Duterte numerous times, said the House move effectively abolished the CHR.

The Senate, however, has vowed to restore the CHR’s budget, with some members vowing to stand their ground even if it meant failure to pass the budget.

“They should look at our mandate, what we are supposed to do and what we are actually doing, and please understand it. And if sometimes they think we’re bearing down hard on [the] government, it’s part of our mandate to also watch what [the] government is doing,” Gana said.

“We have no agenda to bring down the government,” she added.

Actually, she said, the CHR appreciates quick action by the Philippine National Police leadership on wrongdoing in the police ranks, as what happened with the sacking of the entire 1,000-strong Caloocan police force after the killings of the three teenagers.

Gana praised Director Oscar Albayalde, chief of the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO), who sacked and ordered the retraining of the entire Caloocan police force after the furor over the killings of the teenagers, which was compounded by a raid—without search warrant—of the house of an old woman on a tip she was involved in the drug trade.

Security camera captured images of dozens of officers involved in a raid that ended with the robbery of the old woman’s belongings.

“We saw how quickly they moved on the Caloocan case, and I am pleased with . . . NCRPO chief Albayalde,” Gana said. With reports from Nikko Dizon and the wires

Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

Copyright © 2017,

To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.

Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate: c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94



News

  • ‘Urduja’ weakens but continues to wreak havoc
  • Town on Burias Island placed under state of calamity due to ‘Urduja’ rains
  • Deadly California wildfire continues to grow
  • Suspected Abu Sayyaf member arrested in Quezon City
  • Pagasa: New tropical depression to enter PAR on Dec. 20
  • Sports

  • Ceres-Negros rips Global Cebu, wins 1st PFL crown
  • Double celebration for F2 import Perez with MVP award and PSL title
  • UAAP: Blue Eaglets sweep first round
  • ABL: Alab Pilipinas posts first win, routs Formosa Dreamers
  • F2 completes comeback, wins PSL Grand Prix title at expense of Petron
  • Lifestyle

  • With obesity on the rise, Paris reflects on mirrored ‘fatphobia’
  • 12 things to do in Honolulu
  • How the primitive island of Mactan became a world-class destination
  • 32 hot hits from the Korean Wave
  • Channeling Slim’s
  • Entertainment

  • Kylie Padilla posts carbon copy throwback photo of her and mom Liezl
  • Kylie Verzosa now with Viva Artists Agency
  • Lolit Solis posts photos of Ellen, John Lloyd’s ‘pre-natal check-up’
  • Disney-Fox deal may create a new nerdy nirvana
  • Stunning ‘Last Jedi’ effectively deviates from formula
  • Business

  • Inflammatory letter sheds light on Uber’s alleged misconduct
  • Fewer jobless Pinoys noted in September
  • October remittances up 8.4% to $2.28B
  • World Bank raises PH growth forecast for 2017 to 6.7%
  • ADB approves $380-M loan to rehabilitate Zamboanga roads
  • Technology

  • Facebook: Using social media can make you feel bad
  • Amazon opts for truce, prepares sales of Apple TV, Chromecast
  •  Space capsule with 3 astronauts returns to Earth
  • Artificial intelligence finds solar system with 8 planets like ours
  • Facebook moves to make more video ad money
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, December 16, 2017
  • To steal food worth P31.50
  • Unmistakable signs of deference to executive branch
  • Gainers have led since 2015
  • Machines vs people
  • Global Nation

  • EU moves to protect seafarers, including Pinoys
  • Which Asian country takes best care of its elders?
  • Duterte tours Pakistani navy ship
  • Technical bug forces Cebu Pacific plane to land in Nagoya
  • PH thumbs down Trump move declaring Jerusalem as Israel’s capital
  • PHOTOS AND VIDEOS

    • Compensation commission releases P2.3-M to aid Marawi soldiers

      Read More

    • PNP can’t always fool public with ‘nanlaban’ claims – solons

      Read More

    • Poll: Most dislike NFL protests and Trump comments

      Read More

    • Former Mexico governor wanted in US arrested

      Read More

    • US: Nobel Peace choice doesn’t change US stance

      Read More

    • California becomes first ‘sanctuary state’ for undocumented migrants

      Read More

    • Mexican photojournalist found dead after kidnapping

      Read More

    • Moscow gets 130 fake bomb calls, evacuates 100,000 people

      Read More

    • Frustrated police appeal for public’s help in Vegas case

      Read More

    • US states declare emergency ahead of Tropical Storm Nate

      Read More

    • Trump’s one-two punch hits birth control, LGBT rights

      Read More

    • Maute terror base overrun; priest rescued

      Read More

    • CHR execs rebut Duterte: Gascon not a pedophile

      Read More

    • De Lima on Estrada’s bail: We may as well decriminalize plunder

      Read More

    • Army whistle-blower now in hiding

      Read More