Prosecution warns ABS-CBN vs airing kidnap footage
MANILA, Philippines -- Government prosecutors warned television network ABS-CBN against airing video footage from the time spent in captivity by one of its news teams kidnapped by the Abu Sayyaf in Sulu last month.
Senior State Prosecutor Emelie Fe delos Santos said the preliminary investigation of the kidnapping charges against the suspects in the abduction of the news team is still ongoing, and airing footage of their captivity could affect the outcome of the inquiry.
"They [ABS-CBN] were forewarned," Delos Santos said. "It is unfair [to air the video when] the preliminary investigation is still ongoing."
The footage, set to air on Sunday, was shot by the kidnapped news team composed of reporter Ces Drilon, cameraman Jimmy Encarnacion, and assistant cameraman Angelo Valderama.
The three and their guide, Mindanao State University (MSU) professor Octavio Dinampo, were held hostage for nine days and freed after ransom was paid.
The key negotiators for their release -- Indanan town Mayor Alvarez Isnaji, and his son, Haider -- have since been charged with masterminding the abduction.
Copyright 2015 INQUIRER.net and content partners. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.