Jeson Patrombon gets to taste life in the pro circuit when he competes as a wild-card entry in the $10,000 ITF Men’s Futures event starting today in Chandigrah, India.
The 18-year-old Patrombon, who for three straight weeks fell in the finals of as many ITF junior singles event last month, said he’s keen on doing well in the event, where many of the world’s upcoming netters cut their teeth.
“I’ve been dreaming of this for a long time,’’ said Patrombon, who has left school to pursue a pro career. He left for India last Tuesday with coach Manny Tecson.
He was able to get a wild card to the main draw through Philippine Tennis Association vice president Ajay Pathak, although he will have to go through the qualifying stage in the next two legs slated in Noida and Chennai.
Patrombon ranks No. 10 among the world’s juniors, having reached the final of all the Grade 1 legs in Southeast Asia, including the last one in the Philippines, where he bowed to Australian Andrew Whittington.
But the men’s circuit will be a different world altogether for the young pro, according to national coach Chris Cuarto, who expects Patrombon to gain the skills and experience he would need when he competes plays in the Davis Cup and Southeast Asian Games this year.
“Eventually, he (Patrombon) will be a member of the Davis Cup team,’’ said Cuarto.
Tecson said Patrombon will still see action in junior competitions where he is still eligible until the end of the year. He said his ward, who reached the quarterfinals of the Australian Open boys’ singles this year, will compete in the French Open, Wimbledon and US Open.