Filed Under: Boxing, Dido Bohol, Jeffrey Bohol, Allan Jay Tuniacao, Yuko Narushima
MANILA—Boxing manager Dido Bohol and his son Jeffrey, who are Australian immigrants, are facing charges of exploitation filed against them by Pan Asian Boxing Association super bantamweight champion Allan Jay Tuniacao and three other Filipino boxers.
Yuko Narushima, Immigration correspondent of The Sydney Morning Herald reported that the Bohols are “under investigation for allegedly keeping the men in slave-like conditions in a Sydney garage.”
The immigration department confirmed it was investigating complaints against Bohol, who maintains a stable of boxers in the western suburbs.
Tuniacao, in a message to the Inquirer in Filipino, said he had filed the case against Dido and Jeffrey, one of the trainers who recruited him as well as other fighters from the Philippines, and accused the Bohols of even altering his fight record.
The 23-year-old southpaw Tuniacao won the vacant PABA title with a 12 round split decision over previously unbeaten Australian Daniel Iannazzo on July 9 this year and scored a fourth round unanimous decision in his last fight on Sept. 23 over Skak Max.
Tuniacao, recruited by Bohol in 2008, said he was supposed to get $3,000 as purse for his PABA title fight but was given only $400.
Tuniacao and the three others, all from Cebu, alleged that their passports were confiscated on arrival and they were “forced into domestic servitude, washing dishes, cleaning toilets and child-minding.”