Two weeks ago, I wrote about a 12 cake experience I recently had. After raving about the top item on my list, I forgot to mention the maker or the phone number. This chocolate winner is made by Kitchen’s Best (tel. 0917-8966248).
Many of us have tried to diet in preparation for this season of indulgence. During our weekly bible study, I try to hold back on my food intake but forever will fail when it comes to our wide dessert selection.
The culprits? My dear friends Bib and Allen Macasaet. These two know the deep secrets of where to find the sinfully delicious desserts of Manila. I like blaming others for my failures. I fail with a smile.
With all the parties, reunions and get-togethers, most of us will let go and have a New Year’s resolution to diet. In the meantime, let’s enjoy the food and let that dieting take a back seat.
My Christmas list of gift ideas and experiences:
1. Bob and Ninay’s Turkey Dinner—Roast turkey with trimmings and gravy. A sure hit for any celebration. (tel. 0918-9098850, 9840065)
2. Felicias Ensaymada—In Bacolod, or ask someone to get it for you. One of the best I’ve experienced. (034-4336586)
3. Valrhona Chocolate Cake by Dolcelatte—One of the top two on my list. Grabe, ang sarap! (0915-9129038)
4. Kris Ompaoco’s Chicken Empanadas and ham and cheese rolls—Best in the country. (9207282, 0927-2341990)
5. Best Upside Down Cake, Prune Cake and Amaretto Cake by Badminton sensation, Chef Tani. (5346359, 5322495)
6. La Tasca Bibingka Malagkit—Not even the ones from Bulacan will beat this. (8979749, 8965543)
7. Camille’s Crème Brûlée Cake—Moist, not too sweet, with a thin layer of toasted crust on top. Heavenly! (0916-7457729)
8. Ube Ensaymada—Unique ensaymada with a new twist. Moist with a thin layer of ube—good! (0923-9759777, 7751231)
9. Jyn’s Mediterranean Chicken—Delicious! It will be a new experience for most. Complete with trimmings. I simply love it with the chili oil. Healthy pa. (0917-5280563)
10. Colorful and sure-winner Eclairs by Gourmandise—Creamy èclairs with a variety of fillings. Simply the best around. (8402568, 0917-7047118)
11. Fondant Decorated Christmas Cakes made with banana walnut, carrot walnut or apple walnut. Made by Pastry genius Chef Penk Ching. She made the Bird’s Nest Coliseum cake of the Beijing Olympics. Talk about credentials. (0917-8122676)
12. Czars Old-Fashioned Apple Pie—Best in Manila. The ultimate in classic apple pie. Winner of the great American Food Festival. Perfect with a slice of queso de bola. (0917-5411167, 6220830)
13. Mara de la Rama’s Gateau Crepe—Unique gift idea with a delicious tag that goes with it. (0917-8116272)
14. Plaisir Sucre, Turtle Pie and Mango Sansrival—Among the 12 cakes I tried, the plaisir cake came out on top. (0917-8966248)
15. Macadamia Sansrival—Chef Jill Sandique. Best sansrival ever. (4978811, 0922-8262673)
16. Frozen Food for the Gods—Flor’s Gold also comes in chocolate flavor. A real treasure. (0917-8471777, 0917-5704678)
17. Double Fudge Cake—Divine Desserts. (9139875, 4393069)
18. Ensaymada and tibok-tibok from Pampanga—Simply the best. (0920-9478819)
19. Queso De Bola Cheesecake—I prefer this unique version than most of the traditional ones. (8284474, 0920-9278188).
20. Lyn’s General Lechon—Best in Manila. Negros Occidental version. They will deliver up to Dec. 19. Pickup after that, all the way till Christmas. They will be opening soon on Pasay Road in Makati at the Petron station. This you have to try! (0917-8975966).
21. Laoag longanisa—Simmer it in a little water, then fry in a bit of oil, butterfly it then fry until tostado. Sarap! (Ricky Farinas, 0917-8108842)
22. Stevie’s Hainanese Chicken and Vietnamese spring rolls. Both very delicious. Beautiful packaging. (0906-5084155)
23. Cebu lechon—Rico’s Lechon. You may order from Cebu, they fly it in, you pick up at the airport for a fee and have it still with the crispy skin. (0917-4072033)
24. Catering for the season—Good, simple and reasonably priced food by Match Point Catering. (0917-5225450)
25. Moroccan dinner—Last week, I experienced a dinner worth sharing. Grilled Moroccan lamb, chicken and Merguez sausage with spicy sauce over flavored couscous. You have to experience this. Perfect for a private gathering of 30 or fewer guests. Check it out. It will be a new experience for most. (0917-8213021)
26. Kangen Water Machine—With all the delicious food, we all need something to neutralize these acid-forming indulgences. You will not find a better investment for one’s health than this water machine. Watch the live 20-minute demo to understand the logic behind it. Highly recommended. (0908-2492114)
Now, can anyone tell me how I cannot gain weight? I love it!
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
Copyright 2012 Philippine Daily Inquirer. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate: c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94