Quantcast

More storm survivors to spend Christmas in new homes

By ,

Elena Bituon and her family, who survived Supertyphoon “Yolanda,” will spend a merrier Christmas in their new house in Tacloban City. —JOEY A. GABIETA

Elena Bituon and her family, who survived Supertyphoon “Yolanda,” will spend a merrier Christmas in their new house in Tacloban City. —JOEY A. GABIETA

TACLOBAN CITY—Fish vendor Arjun Bituon and his family have another reason to be merry and thankful this Christmas.

They will be celebrating the birth of Christ in a new house, along with 280 families who were displaced by Supertyphoon “Yolanda” (international name: Haiyan) and moved on Monday to permanent houses at North Harbours Village in Barangay Santo Niño, 13 kilometers away from the city center.

The transfer marked a new beginning for Bituon, his wife Elena, and two children—Jirah Faith, 8, and Jade Ivan, 1. The couple lost their house and two other children—Argel, 7 and Shaun Rinzel, 10 months—in the storm surge whipped up by Yolanda on Nov. 8, 2013.

“This is now our new home and beginning today, we will start to build our dreams and our future,” Elena said.

Though the bodies of the two children were never found, Elena said the family’s new residence had given them something to smile about. The 40-square-meter unit was bigger than the shanty they occupied in Barangay 88, San Jose District.

Secretary Michael Lloyd Dino, presidential adviser for the Visayas, said the resettlement of the families stemmed from a directive of President Duterte to relocate those still living in danger zones and temporary shelters by December. The transfer to permanent houses came 18 days after Mr. Duterte’s visit to Tacloban to commemorate the third anniversary of Yolanda.

“We still have 12,500 settlers that need to transfer to their permanent homes. We hope by 2017, all will be settled in their new homes,” Mayor Cristina Gonzales Romualdez said.

A ceremonial switch lighting by the Leyte Electric Cooperative of 48 houses was held on Sunday night. Linemen will work round-the-clock to make sure all houses will be bright this Christmas, Romualdez said.

The President sent five Ceres buses to Tacloban to help in the relocation. The buses will be used to shuttle students and workers from North Harbours to the city for the next six months until new public vehicles are deployed in the site.

Dorcas Secreto, estate specialist management of the National Housing Authority (NHA) regional office, said 14,433 houses were to be built in 11 resettlement sites, of which 4,346 were ready for occupancy. The rest were still in “various stages of construction,” she said.

Based on NHA records, 2,101 families had been resettled at RidgeView 1 and 2 in Barangay Cabalawan; 172 families at Villa Sofia in Barangay Tagpuro; 322 families at Villa Diana in Barangay New Kawayan; and 720 families at the Tacloban North Village in Barangay Cabalawan.

Romualdez said the city government, with the assistance of other government agencies, would provide livelihood assistance to the storm survivors.

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

Copyright © 2019,

To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.

Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate: c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94



News

  • Trump seethes over Mueller report, Democrat demands impeachment
  • Fake news? Mueller isn’t buying it
  • Pope leads Good Friday procession highlighting modern-day slaves’ plight
  • Cardinal Tagle calls out social media trolls, fake news peddlers
  • Trump blasts ex-advisers who say he tried to stop Mueller
  • Sports

  • After hot start, Pasig Chooks bows out of 2019 FIBA 3X3 World Masters
  • Magic finally get a playoff game at home; Thunder, Pacers on ropes
  • Filipino bets Carlo Biado, Johann Chua enter WPA Players Championship semis
  • Grizzlies’ Kyle Anderson undergoes surgery on right shoulder
  • Pacers’ resiliency faces tough test with 0-2 deficit
  • Lifestyle

  • MERCH REVIEW: Shawn Mendes The Tour
  • LISTEN: Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Julien” Is A Bop on Heartbreak
  • ‘Pillars of Earth’ author Ken Follett mourns Notre-Dame
  • Ai Weiwei remembers disappearance of 43 Mexican students
  • San Francisco’s campy ‘Beach Blanket Babylon’ show to end
  • Entertainment

  • Madonna and Maluma to perform new song at Billboard Awards
  • LOOK: Six-months pregnant Andi Eigenmann rides the waves
  • LOOK: Mikee Quintos enjoys sun and sand in Siargao
  • ‘Halo’ series casts its Master Chief
  • Letitia Wright cast in ‘Death on the Nile’
  • Business

  • Brands roll with stoner ‘holiday’ as pot legalization grows
  • Asian stocks modestly higher in quiet holiday trading
  • Tokyo shares end higher as Nintendo soars on China report
  • Alibaba head’s remarks spark debate over China working hours
  • Tech startups Pinterest, Zoom soar in Wall Street debut
  • Technology

  • Iloilo City’s veteran gamer Tony Matulac passes away at 69
  • Musk, SEC get another week to reach deal in contempt case
  • New Mexico panel surprises Facebook with $39M utility bill
  • Private cargo ship arrives at space station with food galore
  • Jack Ma’s remarks spark debate over China working hours
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 18, 2019
  • ‘Nobody’s business’?
  • The age of self-proclamation
  • Don’t go powerless
  • Psalms for the West Philippine Sea
  • Global Nation

  • 4 Filipino students in strife-torn Libya home-bound
  • 7 Filipinos on the way home from strife – torn Libya
  • Locsin says Scarborough giant clams not for sale amid China poaching issue
  • DFA to Libya OFWs: Leave now before it’s too late…
  • 15 Filipino nurses all safe after rockets hit hospital in Tripoli
  • PHOTOS AND VIDEOS

    • McDonald’s PH Chairman & Founder, George T. Yang turns over three performing arts studios for DLSU Manila

      Read More

    • Cops arrest 6 ‘Basag Kotse’ suspects

      Read More

    • Honest naia cabbie cited for exemplary deed

      Read More

    • Mom of 5-year-old girl with leukemia looking for more good samaritans

      Read More

    • Compensation commission releases P2.3-M to aid Marawi soldiers

      Read More

    • PNP can’t always fool public with ‘nanlaban’ claims – solons

      Read More

    • Poll: Most dislike NFL protests and Trump comments

      Read More

    • Former Mexico governor wanted in US arrested

      Read More

    • US: Nobel Peace choice doesn’t change US stance

      Read More

    • California becomes first ‘sanctuary state’ for undocumented migrants

      Read More

    • Mexican photojournalist found dead after kidnapping

      Read More

    • Moscow gets 130 fake bomb calls, evacuates 100,000 people

      Read More

    • Frustrated police appeal for public’s help in Vegas case

      Read More

    • US states declare emergency ahead of Tropical Storm Nate

      Read More

    • Trump’s one-two punch hits birth control, LGBT rights

      Read More