Quantcast

Mexican photojournalist found dead after kidnapping

View of a picture of slain Mexican photojournalist Edgar Daniel Castro displayed in front of the government’s palace during a demonstration to demand justice for his murder, in San Luis Potosi, Mexico on October 6, 2017.
Castro was kidnapped from his house by gunmen and was found dead on Friday in San Luis Potosi. AFP PHOTO / YURI CORTEZ

MEXICO CITY — A photojournalist who received threats over his work has been found dead in northern Mexico a day after he was kidnapped, officials said Friday, making him the 11th journalist killed in the country this year.

The government’s Mechanism to Protect Journalists and Rights Activists called for an “immediate and effective investigation” into the killing of Edgar Daniel Esqueda Castro, 23, who was reportedly kidnapped Thursday by gunmen posing as police officers in the city of San Luis Potosi.

There were immediate protests in Mexico, which drug wars and corruption have made one of the most dangerous countries in the world for the press, according to rights groups.

Esqueda’s body was found dumped near the San Luis Potosi airport, bound and bearing signs of torture, according to local media reports and the rights group Reporters Without Borders.

His wife told the press freedom watchdog that gunmen claiming to be police had burst into their home while they slept early Thursday, thrown Esqueda to the floor and then hauled him away at gunpoint.

Prosecutors said Thursday that no actual police were suspected in the crime.

But San Luis Potosi Governor Juan Manuel Carreras told a press conference Friday that one line of investigation included the possible involvement of “public officials.”

The federal protection program said Esqueda, who worked for the daily newspaper Metropoli San Luis and the news website Vox Populi, had recently told authorities that state police had threatened and harassed him while he was working.

He said five police officers had threatened to beat him up and take his camera while he photographed the scene of a shootout on July 4, forcing him to delete his photos.

Nine days later, police reportedly harassed him again, saying they “would be watching him” because they suspected he was “passing information to the bad guys,” the federal protection program said in a statement.

The program had asked local authorities to grant Esqueda protective measures.

But it is unclear whether he was ever given any of the measures offered by the program, such as security cameras, panic buttons or bodyguards. The interior ministry did not immediately respond to a request for information.

The protection program, launched in 2012, has been widely criticized for failing to stop the murders of journalists and activists.

‘Enough already’

Colleagues of the slain photojournalist protested in San Luis Potosi after his body was found, placing their cameras on the ground atop handwritten signs reading “Enough already” and “Justice.”

The Latin America director for Reporters Without Borders, Emmanuel Colombie, condemned the “hateful crime,” calling on authorities to punish Esqueda’s killers and protect his family.

Rights groups say at least 11 journalists have been killed in Mexico so far in 2017. That would put this year on a par with last as the deadliest ever for journalists in Mexico.

It is unclear whether they were all targeted because of their work, but most of them had been reporting on drug cartels or political corruption.

Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

Copyright © 2018,

To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.

Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate: c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94



News

  • Pope Francis: ‘I am the devil’ compared to John Paul
  • Iran vows ‘crushing response’ after gunmen kill 29 at army parade
  • Vatican announces historic deal on bishops with China
  • Grace Poe leads Senate poll; Sara Duterte, Imee Marcos in top 12
  • Visayas grid power supply assured after landslide
  • Sports

  • Birds of prey
  • PH spikers leave Thai tourney with a win
  • PetroGazz survives Tacloban to kick off Open campaign
  • Rodriguez favored as Petron GT highlights Batangas racing weekend
  • Saso shines as Pradera PAL keeps crown
  • Lifestyle

  • Maybe, to Enrile’s mind, Edsa never happened
  • It must be the weather
  • Do we need federalism? A layman’s view
  • After 40 years, her husband leaves her for the househelp
  • Getting out of our comfort zone is basic to service
  • Entertainment

  • Jake Zyrus feels ‘respected’ on the set of Japanese film
  • Love, interrupted
  • Joaquin Phoenix sheds tons of weight to play Joker
  • Sizzling sweetheart is a sourpuss
  • Dua Lipa’s distinctive vocals make up for her lack of showmanship
  • Business

  • Driving change for a better world
  • Acer gives PH education a boost
  • Proud mama
  • Bigger, better home choices for Davaoeños
  • Communities built for families
  • Technology

  • LOOK: Hidden animation hints at features of Pixel Stand wireless charger
  • LOOK: Elon Musk shows his vision for living on Mars
  • Facebook dating service rolling out in Colombia
  • Huawei gives out free power banks to people lining up for new iPhone
  • Japan space rovers lowered to asteroid to collect data
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, September 23, 2018
  • Callous words from the Prez
  • An interview in quest of an audience
  • Writ of prosperity
  • Pity the proud
  • Global Nation

  • Protests vs PH killings, return of Marcoses echo in Geneva
  • Duterte gets into a fresh rant against ICC
  • DFA monitoring situation in Iran after attack on military parade
  • DFA warns OFWs vs human trafficking rings using social media
  • Duterte slams ICC anew: ‘They are a bunch of criminals, bullshits, idiots’
  • PHOTOS AND VIDEOS

    • McDonald’s PH Chairman & Founder, George T. Yang turns over three performing arts studios for DLSU Manila

      Read More

    • Cops arrest 6 ‘Basag Kotse’ suspects

      Read More

    • Honest naia cabbie cited for exemplary deed

      Read More

    • Mom of 5-year-old girl with leukemia looking for more good samaritans

      Read More

    • Compensation commission releases P2.3-M to aid Marawi soldiers

      Read More

    • PNP can’t always fool public with ‘nanlaban’ claims – solons

      Read More

    • Poll: Most dislike NFL protests and Trump comments

      Read More

    • Former Mexico governor wanted in US arrested

      Read More

    • US: Nobel Peace choice doesn’t change US stance

      Read More

    • California becomes first ‘sanctuary state’ for undocumented migrants

      Read More

    • Mexican photojournalist found dead after kidnapping

      Read More

    • Moscow gets 130 fake bomb calls, evacuates 100,000 people

      Read More

    • Frustrated police appeal for public’s help in Vegas case

      Read More

    • US states declare emergency ahead of Tropical Storm Nate

      Read More

    • Trump’s one-two punch hits birth control, LGBT rights

      Read More