Pro-Cory MIA forces stopping Marcos boys
PRO-AQUINO forces have taken control of both the Manila International and Domestic Airports since early yesterday and are screening departure passengers to make sure anyone “accountable to the people” does not escape.
Col. Noli Espejo, newly-appointed chief of the Aviation Security Command, said they formally took over around 2 a.m yesterday after disarming the airport police.
He said he has has also instructed immigration officials to put on “hold” list a number of Marcos officials and friends.
Similarly, the government’s Philippine Airlines, which recognized Ms. Corazon Aquino’s government Monday after its president, Roman Cruz Jr., pledged to cooperate with the Avsecom order.
Espejo said Brig. Gen. Ramon Farolan, former customs commissioner, has taken over the Philippine Air Force; Brig. Gen. Vicente Piccio, he said, has resigned.
Espejo said he had taken over from his former chief, Marcos loyalist Brig. Gen. Luther Custodio, without any fighting.
“We just talked to them,” he said.
The Avsecom spokeman, who declined to be identified would not reveal his former chief’s fate.
Gen. Fidel V. Ramos personally appointed Col. Espejo the new Avsecom chief.
Espejo said domestic flights had been cancelled because of security problems: “We don’t want the loyalists to use the (PAL domestic) planes.”
He said there was “always the probability” that pro-Marcos forces could mount air attacks on pro-Aquino forces, but added: “We are ready for anything. ”
Landing military planes at the international airport is “not a problem for us,” he said. “We haye the airport under control.”
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.