‘Kalayaan 16’ awarded as West PH Sea ‘heroes’ after China ban

MANILA, Philippines — Palawan’s Kalayaan town officials were awarded the West Philippine Sea Heroes Award on Tuesday after actions that led to their ban from entering China and its special administrative regions.
The Akbayan party and the Atin Ito group conferred the award on the local officials, dubbed the “Kalayaan 16,” including Town Mayor Beltzasar Alindogan, Vice Mayor Maurice Phillip Alexis Albayda, Councilor Francis Polizon, and 13 others.
Albayda and Polizon personally received the award presented by Akbayan party-list representatives Chel Diokno, Perci Cendaña, and Dadah Kiram Ismula; party president and Atin Ito convenor Rafaela David; and co-convenor Ed dela Torre.
“As for what is happening right now, it could not be denied that we, people with unknown names, simple people with simple lives, are easy targets for those bullies,” Albayda said in a press conference.
“But the Filipino people are behind us in our stand,” he added.
According to the Chinese Embassy, the 16 individuals are deemed “not welcome” to enter China, including Hong Kong and Macau, due to their resolutions declaring the country’s former and current ambassadors to the Philippines persona non grata.
Last month, the Kalayaan municipal council declared Chinese Ambassador Jing Quan persona non grata after the embassy criticized Philippine officials, including Commodore Jay Tarriela, spokesperson for the Philippine Coast Guard in the West Philippine Sea.
In 2023, the town council also unanimously approved a resolution declaring former Beijing ambassador to Manila Huang Xilian persona non grata over the August 5 water cannon incident that year.
“Honestly, what we did, we think it was just a small step, because in reality, we are just a small town,” Polizon said.
“We never thought that what we were doing would have such a big impact on the Philippines,” he added.
For David, the ban, which she called “retaliatory,” has “backfired,” noting that the move is an “effective recognition” of the authority of the Municipality of Kalayaan as an official government unit.
“Beijing’s intended intimidation has only strengthened our resolve,” David said in the press conference. “The ban is a badge of honor.”
Pagasa Island is the biggest feature of the Kalayaan Island Group in the West Philippine Sea, home to some 400 locals, troops, law enforcers, and civilian government personnel.
Having had an effective occupation and control over it, Manila asserts sovereignty within the 12 nautical miles territorial sea of Pagasa Island, which is beyond the western section of the country’s exclusive economic zone.
READ: West Philippine Sea: Large fleet of Chinese ships seen in Pagasa Island
The seat of government of the Kalayaan municipality regularly sees the presence of Chinese ships, sometimes even entering its territorial sea.
“It is ironic that China banned Filipinos from entering their territory, but it is them and their ships who are desperately trespassing in our seas and islands,” David said. /mcm
For comprehensive coverage, in-depth analysis, visit our special page for West Philippine Sea updates. Stay informed with articles, videos, and expert opinions.