Another civilian West PH Sea mission expected ‘this summer’

MANILA, Philippines — The West Philippine Sea will see another civilian-led mission “this summer,” organizers announced on Tuesday.
However, Rafaela David, Akbayan president and Atin Ito convenor, did not elaborate further, saying more details would be announced in due time.
“This summer, Atin Ito and Akbayan Party will conduct another mission to the West Philippine Sea,” David said at a press conference.
“We will continue to shed light on China’s illegal actions,” she added.
Commodore Jay Tarriela, Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) spokesperson for the West Philippine Sea, said the PCG is expected to assist this mission.
“The commitment of PCG is to provide a Coast Guard vessel to ensure the safety and security of the participants in the Atin Ito convoy this coming summer,” Tarriela said in an ambush interview.
This will be the fourth civilian-led mission to the West Philippine Sea.
In December 2023, the first-ever supply mission of Atin Ito was deemed successful after one of its resupply boats managed to get past Chinese vessels and reach Lawak Island, bringing gifts for personnel stationed at BRP Sierra Madre — a Navy outpost in Ayungin Shoal — and other Philippine-held maritime features in the West Philippine Sea.
READ: Chinese vessels, warships withdraw from Scarborough after convoy
However, the mission was not without challenges. A China Coast Guard (CCG) vessel tailed the caravan’s mothership, training ship Felix Oca, prompting its captain to return to port in El Nido, Palawan. The convoy was supposed to sail near the shoal where the World War II-era ship remains grounded.
In May 2024, Atin Ito also conducted a mission to Scarborough (Panatag) Shoal but was unable to reach the atoll after being blocked by CCG vessels.
READ: Chinese ships block convoy’s mother boat from reaching Scarborough
At one point, three CCG vessels surrounded the convoy’s motorboat, where the Inquirer was also aboard. The convoy only reached as close as 50 nautical miles (NM) from Panatag Shoal before heading back to mainland Luzon.
The third civilian mission to the West Philippine Sea took place in May last year.
The Felix Oca, which was deployed for the second time, encountered CCG vessels just 20 NM off El Nido, Palawan.
READ: West Philippine Sea: Atin Ito mission crewman recalls first sight of Chinese threat
Beijing claims sovereignty over almost the entire South China Sea, but a 2016 arbitral ruling upheld Manila’s sovereign rights in the West Philippine Sea. /jpv
For comprehensive coverage, in-depth analysis, visit our special page for West Philippine Sea updates. Stay informed with articles, videos, and expert opinions.