2028 presidential polls a ‘concern’ for China — Tarriela

2028 presidential polls a ‘concern’ for China — Tarriela

/ 07:35 PM February 20, 2026
The 2028 presidential elections are also a “concern” for China and it might “bet” on someone who will not stand up for the country’s rights in the West Philippine Sea (WPS), said Commodore Jay Tarriela, Philippine Coast Guard spokesperson for the West Philippine Sea on Friday.
Philippine Coast Guard chief Jay Tarriela. Photo by Noy Morcoso/INQUIRER.net

MANILA, Philippines — The 2028 presidential elections will be a “concern” for China and it might “bet” on someone who will not stand up for the country’s rights in the West Philippine Sea (WPS), said Commodore Jay Tarriela, Philippine Coast Guard spokesperson for the West Philippine Sea on Friday. 

“Every time we talk about the upcoming presidential election, I would like to believe that that is also a concern for the People’s Republic of China, who will be the next president,” Tarriela said during a Stratbase forum’s panel discussion held at the Manila Polo Club.

“Obviously, anybody whom they are really betting to be the next president is somebody who’s not going to stand up for our rights, because they will be at a disadvantage if the next president will continue what President Marcos has been doing so far, exposing Chinese aggression,” he added.

Article continues after this advertisement

Vice President Sara Duterte is the first one to announce her plans to run for president in the 2028 elections.

FEATURED STORIES

Duterte’s critics slammed her due to perceived lukewarm stance on West Philippine Sea issues by not issuing statements condemning China when maritime incidents occur.

Duterte defended this move, saying that it is the responsibility of relevant agencies like the Department of Foreign Affairs, not her office, to address such issues.

When asked if Duterte’s presidency would be beneficial to China, Tarriela said in an ambush interview: “Well, I don’t want to name anybody.”

“But what I’m saying is that, if there is any candidate that the Chinese government would be supporting in 2028, of course, that should be somebody who aligns with their own interests, who doesn’t really wish to make the Filipinos aware of what’s really happening in the West Philippines Sea,” Tarriela pointed out.

Article continues after this advertisement

Beijing’s actions are in line with its sovereignty claims over almost the entire South China Sea, but the 2016 arbitral award effectively ruled in favor of Manila’s sovereign rights in the West Philippine Sea.

Tarriela further noted that during the administration of the vice president’s father, then – President Rodrigo Duterte from 2016 to 2022, “there were only three incidents that were publicized.”

Article continues after this advertisement

In contrast, under the Marcos administration, Tarriela noted that Filipinos have been receiving West Philippine Sea updates “almost every week.”

The PCG official said the transparency initiative needs to be sustained until 2028, noting that Filipinos are “forgetful.”

“If we silence the transparency [initiative] now, then by 2028, Filipinos will once again have forgotten who among the politicians failed to stand up for our position in the West Philippine Sea,” Tarriela said. /gsg

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

 

TAGS: China, Jay Tarriela

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our newsletter!

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

© Copyright 1997-2026 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved