Zambales braces for fishing disruptions anew

Zambales braces for fishing disruptions anew

COASTAL LIFE A fisherman ventures out into the sea aboard his boat as the sun sets over Barangay San Miguel in San Antonio, Zambales, capturing a quiet moment of coastal life amid fishing disruptionsimposed last month due to an earlier maritime exercise in the West Philippine Sea. —JOANNA ROSE AGLIBOT

IBA, ZAMBALES, Philippines — Coastal communities in this province are once again preparing for possible livelihood disruptions as large portions of the province’s waters will be temporarily closed later this month for joint military exercises near Panatag (Scarborough) Shoal in the West Philippine Sea.

A “no sail zone” will be enforced from May 28 to May 30 in connection with the Bilateral Maritime Cooperative Activity (BMCA) between the Philippines and the United States, prompting safety advisories for fishermen and commercial vessels operating in the area.

According to Philippine Coast Guard Zambales station commander Euphraim Jayson Diciano, the designated operational area—referred to as the BMCA Box—covers a wide stretch of waters off the province and will be used for coordinated naval maneuvers and maritime security exercises.

Article continues after this advertisement

READ: PH, US, Japan, Canada, Australia navies hold live-fire drills in WPS

FEATURED STORIES

Diciano said the perimeter extends up to 48 kilometers (26 nautical miles) from Barangay Gama in Sta. Cruz and about 88 km from Sampaloc Point in Subic.

“Because the activities will be conducted relatively close to the mainland, we have begun coordinating with fishing communities and barangay officials to prevent civilian vessels from entering restricted waters during the three-day exercise period,” he said.

READ: ‘Balikatan’ to restrict fishing, close parts of Subic waters

11 towns

At least 11 towns in Zambales and nearby Olongapo City are expected to be affected due to their proximity to the exercise area.

Article continues after this advertisement

Sta. Cruz is the closest at about 22 km from the zone, followed by Palauig at 31 km. Candelaria and Masinloc are both around 33 km away.

Iba is about 38 km from the perimeter, while San Antonio and Botolan are approximately 40 km away. Cabangan, San Felipe, and San Narciso are also within the broader maritime restriction area, along with Subic and Olongapo City.

Article continues after this advertisement

Diciano urged fisherfolk and vessel operators to comply with the temporary restrictions, citing safety risks posed by naval maneuvers and possible live-fire exercises.

The upcoming restrictions follow similar maritime limitations during the “Balikatan” exercises in April. /cb

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

For comprehensive coverage, in-depth analysis, visit our special page for West Philippine Sea updates. Stay informed with articles, videos, and expert opinions.

TAGS: West Philippine Sea

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our newsletter!

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

© Copyright 1997-2026 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved