PNP forms task force to probe Macacua ambush

PNP forms task force to probe Macacua ambush

Investigators still checking if attack is election-related incident; 9,000 cops deployed for Sept. 14 BARMM polls
/ 04:50 AM August 18, 2026
PNP public information chief PCol. Allen Rae Co

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police has created a task force to investigate the ambush targeting Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof “Sammy Gambar” Macacua.

Unidentified gunmen fired at Macacua’s convoy in Maguindanao del Norte on Saturday afternoon but failed to harm him or any of his personnel, with less than a month remaining before the Sept. 14 BARMM parliamentary elections.

“SITG ICM (Special Investigation Task Group Interim Chief Minister) was already created and they had their first meeting immediately after the incident,” PNP public information chief Col. Allen Rae Co said in a press briefing at Camp Crame on Monday.

Article continues after this advertisement

“As of now, it’s still a suspected ERI (election-related incident). We have no ERIs recorded yet. Possibly, this will be the first if this will be considered an ERI,” Co said.

FEATURED STORIES

READ: BARMM polls to proceed Sept. 14 despite official’s ambush — Palace

He said police investigators had recovered 81 spent cartridges at the scene of the purported ambush: 15 from a caliber 5.56 firearm, five from a caliber 7.62 firearm and 61 others that had yet to be matched to a firearm.

The recovered cartridges will undergo testing to determine the firearms from which they were fired, Co said.

READ: 81 bullet shells found after ambush on BARMM chief’s convoy

Article continues after this advertisement

“We will leave no stone unturned. We will be able to identify the perpetrators,” Co stressed.

Assessment

On security measures ahead of the elections, Co said the PNP was still awaiting assessments from the Commission on Elections and partner agencies, including the Armed Forces of the Philippines, on whether to increase security deployments.

Article continues after this advertisement

“If ever their assessment changes, we will be adjusting accordingly,” he said.

Co said at least 9,400 police officers had so far been deployed for the elections.

Macacua was sworn in as president and chairperson of the Bangsamoro Federalist Party last Saturday in Barangay Gambar, Kabuntalan, Maguindanao del Norte.

He is running to represent Maguindanao del Norte’s third district.

In a phone interview with reporters later on Monday, Police Regional Office-BARMM spokesperson Cpt. Steffi Salanguit said a suspected unexploded ordnance had been recovered in Kabuntalan during Macacua’s swearing-in ceremony.

“It wasn’t that far from the venue, but it also wasn’t that close to the venue. It was in a secluded area,” Salanguit said.

She also said an explosion occurred along the road taken by Macacua’s convoy before the ambush.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

“We can say that these were related to slow them down,” she added. /cb

TAGS: Philippine Elections

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our newsletter!

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.

© Copyright 1997-2026 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved