Comelec proclaims new Pinoy Workers party-list representative

MANILA, Philippines — Karl Josef Legazpi has been proclaimed by the Commission on Elections (Comelec) as the representative of Pinoy Workers party-list in the 20th Congress following the resignation of the party-list’s first nominee.
The proclamation was led by the Comelec en banc at the session hall of Comelec’s main office on Wednesday.
Last Monday, Pinoy Workers party-list Rep. Franz Vincent Legazpi and 1Tahanan party-list Rep. Nathaniel Oducado resigned from the House of Representatives.
READ: 2 party-list lawmakers quit House
Karl was previously appointed by President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. as the second Commissioner-at-Large of the National Youth Commission.
Comelec Chairman George Erwin Garcia on Tuesday said that the poll body already received a letter from House of Representatives Secretary General Cheroy Garafil stating the vacancy and acceptance of Franz’ resignation.
Garcia said that Karl was named the new party-list representative despite not being on the list of nominees since the listed nominees have been expelled from the group.
“The other nominees were expelled by the party-list as they established a new party-list and served as its officers,” Garcia explained in Filipino. /gsg